Tooheys Newcastle Rugby League is pleased to release the 2017 District Competition draw.
Click here to view: 2017 Season Draw
Key dates and initiatives:
- Season kicks off on the weekend of the 22/23 April
- 16 home & away rounds with the finals series commencing on 2 September
- Grand Final – confirmed to be again held at McDonald Jones Stadium on either the 23rd or 24th September
- Consideration is being given to holding the GF on the Saturday
- 2017 sees a change in format for the district competition with the introduction of the Newcastle RL Ladies League Tag competition
- In celebrating the inclusion of female participants Round 12 will be the Women in League Round – coincides with National Rugby League Women In League
- We will be working with the clubs to promote and celebrate female participation within our region
- As per 2016 the final two rounds will be our Community Rounds
- Clubs encourage to engage with their football and broader community
- The additional 2 rounds (8 & 14) will also be promoted as our Futures Rounds.
- Emphasise placed on juniors and youth within our competitions
- All U19 games will be played either before or after 1st grade
- One u19 game per round to be live-streamed by BarTV
- Working with the Knights to run their Back to Juniors initiative in the lead up to the Futures Rounds.
- We will again be working with The Mark Hughes Foundation to raise awareness of their Beanie for Brain Cancer Week.
- Indigenous All Stars pre-season game – A proposal has been forwarded to CRL for Newcastle RL to host an Indigenous All Stars game in the 2017 pre-season
- Proposed format includes a LLT, u18s & Allstars match @ No. 2 Sportsground
- We are awaiting concept approval after which more detailed discussions will be held with clubs
- Adam Bettridge & Ashely Gordon have been working on the concept and it is seen as a positive opportunity to celebrate diversity within our game
- With recent changes to the senior rep program it can also provide players over 23 an opportunity to participate